Frances John Carter
Francis Carter's timber career began modestly in about 1895 when he and J W Lee and Arthur Wright opened a sawmill near Levin, processing kahikatea swamp timber.
After clearing the Koputaroa forest, Carter and Wright concentrated on a sash and door factory they had opened in 1897 at Mangaweka, then the northern railhead of the main trunk line.
Carter set up a flaxmill with R W Smith near Taupo in about 1900 but the venture failed and with Wright he re-entered sawmilling in 1902.
Carter's timber interests expanded throughout the North Island, establishing the basis for the large group that became Carter Consolidated in 1951.